Monday, October 26, 2009

My oldest UFO/inhereted UFO


This quilt (sorry the picture is so small I had to use my cell phone)was the only quilt I ever worked on with my grandma, we got it tied but she never got it bound. It was in her basement for over 25 years.
When she passed away I rescued it from going in the trash by my Uncle. Yesterday I trimmed it and bound it, then washed it really good cause it stank like basement.

This is a typical grandma project, she had grand ideas and started things but had a hard time finishing them. When we started this quilt the idea was to make on for all her grand kids I think there were 6 of us at the time (my sister came later)so maybe it was even longer than 25 years it was in the basement. Anyway she got this pattern and loved that you could make a star by using 2 different colors of yarn on the gingham fabric. I guess I will be the only grand child with a quilt she worked on.



Christmas countdown banner

10 comments:

Kim said...

This was a great rescue! I wish you and your family many years of snuggly memories of your Gram.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Oh Carin...what a treasure....

ZONE F DG TEAM said...

You lucky girl. I'm sure you'll treasure it for all eternity.

Greg said...

That is a nice quilt. No doubt it has special memories for you and hopefully for your kids when you hand it down to them, if they're good and have earned it that is!

Carrie P. said...

Another quilt saved. How dare your uncle. lol Great memories with this quilt.

MamaBug said...

It's beautiful. What special memories you'll have every time you use it. Glad you rescued it from your uncle's decluttering.

Lynn said...

Glad that you found this quilt after so many years. Can you imagine throwing a quilt away - men -geesh. Uh-oh starting projects and not finishing them - sounds like someone I know. This should be a lesson to me.

onlymehere said...

How priceless to have something that your grandma worked on! I have doilies that I treasure and a crocheted bed spread that my grandma made. She did beautiful work with that skinny cotton thread!

Teresa said...

Its a great quilt with some wonderful memories.

Julia said...

What a treasure! I am so glad that you rescued it! Every time you snuggle with it, it will be like Grandma wrapping her arms around you! Beautiful! :~)