Friday, October 06, 2006

You can never be to rich, to thin or have enough fabric!


Seeing as how I will never have to find out if that is the case with the first two I thought it best to work on the third ;)

I love making quilt tops I love finding patterns and then picking out just the right fabric to make it look just right, I love to sit at my sewing machine and watch the blocks come to life. Sometimes they come out exactly like they looked in my head when I started and other times they look totally different, but that isn't necessarily bad.

I love when they are all finished and I can look at the quilt and say I"I did that" I made something beautiful, useful and something that ties me to my ancestors, my mother never quilted and her mother never quilted, my grandmother on my dad's side was an advid quilter unfortunately she was a bit odd and I was a young when she died so I never had the chance to get past the idea that she was strange and learn anything from her. I can only guess that somehow that love of fabric and creating came from her some how.

I think it might also have to do with my love of history and wanting to feel close to the women of my family that walked across the plains of this county with only the things that would fit in a handcart. I know that they made quilts for practical reasons but I think they also must have had a creative side too. They they enjoyed watching a quilt come together and know that something they created would be used to help keep their children warm.

1 comment:

MarilynH said...

Carin--this is a cool post--I enjoyed reading it. You write so well!!!