Friday, June 27, 2008

This made my heart swell!



The picture was taken in 1918. It is 18,000 men preparing for war in a training camp at Camp Dodge in Iowa.

I am sure a lot of those men had seen the Statue of Liberty as they entered this country. I think of what it meant to them and what it took in 1918 to take this picture. I am sure that about 30 to 40% of these men didn't return from the First World War and my heart fills and my eyes well.

I hate to see any ones son or daughter not come home(or grandfathers in this case) however I know that when the cause is just and right that it is a necessity. As we get closer to the 4th of July I am always very emotional and my patriotism overflows right out my eyes. I can't listen to the National Anthem without crying (I know I know I have always been a crier)

I want anyone who's son, daughter, father, mother, brother, sister (you get the picture) is serving our country to know that I pray for them every night, I pray for there safety, I pray for there success, I pray that they will come home soon victorious. I think they are so brave and they have my gratitude and thankfulness. I want them to know that I know they are doing what is right and they are doing a fantastic job.

As we here in the US celebrate the founding of our country let us all remember that men, women and children through the years have laid down there lives so we can have this free country, that we are so blessed to have the freedoms we do and that without the sacrifice of those people we wouldn't have the prosperity we take for granted.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

(to my dear friends from other countries, This is a short break in my regularly scheduled insane rantings, we will return to my regular sad rantings about my life soon ;O) )



2 comments:

Kris Meares - Tag Along Teddies said...

Hey Carin! We may not celebrate the 4th of July here in Aus, but I know what you mean about the patriotic feeling - and the faulty plumbing that makes my nose run and eyes leak!! My Gramps served in New Guinea in WWII and I was proud to share his photo with my bloggy friends on ANZAC Day. I can't listen to the Last Post without eyes leaking. So ... go ahead and have your patriotic patter - we'll read it and recognise you care deeply and we'll look forward to your regularly scheduled 'sharing' next post! Bear Hugs! KRIS (Tag Along Teddies)

Gina said...

I'm with you and Kris. The Last Post sees me dissolve into floods of tears and I well up every time the Welsh National Anthem is played.

Love and hugs xxx